Sunday, March 17, 2019

Strawberry Tower

Ok, so I may have gone a little overboard over Spring Break. Not as bad as last year, but I did buy a plethora of plants ... again.

Just in case you aren't aware of last year's haul, here's a picture of what was gathered at our nearby nursery, Covington's. Not all of it is mine! Just most of it.



Oh, and then I went to Wal-mart and bought a fern.


Back to this year. I decided that the way I've been growing strawberries just hasn't been working out for me. My first couple of years I had them in terracotta pots. Then, I switched them over to hanging baskets that were posted on the fence. While that worked better than the pots, it still didn't give me the large plants or yield that I've been looking for. I know I won't have enough to make jam, but more than 10 would be nice!
Naturally, I spent a few hours going down a DIY black hole on my phone while Netflix played in the background until I found a mix of what I wanted! A Strawberry tower with different flowers and herbs to attract pollinators that would also be compatible with the fruit themselves.




Materials:

PVC Pipe 4-in x 5-ft

PVC Pipe x 5ft
Drill
Hole Saw



Step 1: Drill those holes! I learned the hard way that I had to lay the PVC pipe down to drill the holes rather than stand it up like I typically do with my drill. I had a pretty sore wrist for the next few hours.




I spaced my hole out so that I had about a foot and a half between each one. They were also offset. I ended up with 5 holes. 3 in one column and 2 in another. You know I couldn't have an even number of them. :)



Same process for the smaller PVC pipe. I didn't care as much about the spacing on this one since it's main goal is to pass water throughout the tube. I did offset these like I did on the larger one.
























No comments:

Post a Comment