Friday, August 7, 2015

Under the Sink Curtains

Living in a small space, I've learned to use every little nook and cranny that I possibly can. The classroom is no different. When I feel like I'm losing cabinet or closet space, I have to look for other places to store things. That doesn't mean I want my room to look even more cluttered than it already does. What better way to hide my under the sink storage with some curtains! 


I love, love, LOVE the end of July/beginning of August because it means being able to get back into my classroom! I spend the summer thinking up all these ideas to try in my room and things I want to make, so I can't wait to get back and do them! The other day while I was unpacking cabinets and going through lockers I found a good 20 or so boxes of unopened Kleenex (there are classes that have more than that!) That combined with all of the Kleenex that's going to come this year ... I needed to find another place to store all of it. Cabinet and locker space is precious. However, under the sink space is not. In our classrooms there is a little niche that is wide open. Why not store all of the Kleenex under the sink and make some curtains to cover it up!? Then the kids can get to the boxes whenever they need a new one.

Here are my under the sink curtains and they were super easy to make.

WHAT DO I NEED?

  • Fabric
  • Scissors
  • Hot Glue Gun/Glue Sticks
  • Tension Rod ($3.50 at Family Dollar)
  • Binder Clips (optional)
  • 3M Hooks (optional)


The first thing I did was measure out my fabric to see how wide and long it needed to be. Once I got it all measure out, I folded the edges and pinned the open side down with binder clips so I didn't cut too crooked on my fold.



Once my fabric was cut, I headed over to glue my opening at the top. It's much quicker and easier for me to glue things that to sew them. I measured again to see how much I needed to fold over to get my rod through. I decided to make 2 set of sleeves so I could have the curtains hanging higher or lower depending on if they get in the way for some kids.


For the first sleeve, I folded the fabric over to where it would just touch the floor if it was hanging the highest. The, I folded that section back about halfway.


I glued just under the fold all the way across the fabric and folded it over to press my fabric to my glue.


That made my first sleeve.


For the second set, I glued along the bottom of the remaining folded over fabric, then folded it down and pressed it down.


So I have 2 sleeves to choose from if I decide to move the curtain at any point. That way, It wont gather on the floor.


I put the 3M hooks on either side of the sink to hold the tension rod since it doesn't stick out any for me to be able to just place it there. I may add some ribbon or trim to the top later, but for not it looks just fine to me!


And there you have it! A new place to store all of the Kleenex I have and will be getting more of soon! I'm sure I'll have enough space to store baby wipes, as well.






Happy crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment