Tuesday, May 5, 2020

DIY in a Day: Wig Stand

While my mannequin head has been a life saver in holding my wigs for styling & storage, it wasn't good for holding all 5 (... duh). A quick trip to the craft store, and about $20 later, I now have 4 new wig stands! That's what 1 would cost! Not too shabby if you ask me. Scroll through to see how you can make wig stands of your own!




I've found myself gathering more wigs over the past year, but haven't had anywhere to store them. I've tried Command Hooks on the wall, folding them back up and putting them in the box, laying them on the counter ... I have one wig stand, but obviously can't fit 5 on the same head at one time!

Enter a trip to Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and time spent staring at crafting supplies in various aisles. I gathered a few things and headed home to see what I could whip up! They'll be painted in another Summer DIY, but for now they're still unfinished.

For this quick DIY (seriously, it took like 10 minutes), I used styrofoam heads, wooden dowels, plaques, and wood screws.

WHAT DO I NEED?

  • Female Styrofoam Heads
  • 12" x 3/4" Wooden Dowels (pack of 4 from Hobby Lobby)
  • 4" x 4" Round Wood Plaque (pack of 4 from Hobby Lobby)
  • 2" Wood Screws
  • Hack Saw (optional)


The first thing I did was find the middle of the round plaque, and mark it on the back. That way I knew where the center was. I was then able to drill a pilot hole through that marking, and the middle of the bottom of the dowel before screwing the wood screw through and attaching the dowel to the plaque.




Now that the pilot holes were drilled, I was able to screw the two pieces together with the wood screw. Drilling pilot holes first not only helps to guide the larger fastener that will attach the pieces, but it will also keep the wood from splitting and ruining your piece.


Once the dowel and plaque are screwed together, all that's left to do is place the styrofoam head on top of the dowel. AND THAT'S IT! I mean, how easy is that, right?



The shelf I have these divas on is slightly higher than needed and the stands just touch the ceiling. I took my Dollar Tree hack saw (yes, really, I got it from Dollar Tree), and cut an inch off the top of the dowels before placing the heads back on. It also helped that I left the masking tape I was using as a marker on there to keep the heads from moving around so much.


Like I said early, these will be painted. I can't wait to finish them and post their transformation! Have fun making this SUPER quick DIY. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment