Saturday, June 13, 2020

DIY in a Day: Garden Stakes

Looking for a DIY in a Day? These garden stakes are super cute & super quick! You only need a few materials to help spruce up your garden. I absolutely LOVE them!



A few years ago I picked up these rustic garden signs from Hobby Lobby. Unfortunately, they don't sell them anymore, but some wood glue, a wood stake, and a wood rectangle & you've got yourself a slightly taller version.

WHAT DO I NEED?
  • Garden Sign (you can make your own with some hot glue, a wood stake, and a wood rectangle)
  • Mod Podge (you can grab some here from Michaels)
  • Printer
  • Printable Clear Sticker Paper (you can grab some here from Michaels)
  • Garden Stake Labels of Your Choice (you can download mine at the bottom of this post)
  • Cricut or Scissors


After spending about an hour trying to decide how I wanted my stakes to look, I threw them in design space, printed them on Printable Clear Sticker Paper, and had my Cricut do all of the cutting (I love that thing!).


These were originally going to be used for my indoor herb garden jars, but I didn't like the way the clear stickers looked on the white jars, or how the color didn't show up on my clear jars. So, in the spirit of not trashing things and wasting good clear sticker paper, I decided to use them for my stakes instead.


I placed the label on top of the sign, and placed it right where I wanted it. A couple of the labels ended up slightly larger than the sign, so I used my utility knife and Cricut scissors to cut off edges. I think it gave them some character.





Next, I took my Mod Podge with a gloss finish and used it to seal the label onto the garden stake. This will help keep the sticker from peeling off of the wood. While I used the gloss finish I had on hand, there are several different finishes to choose from.


 While it looks like I'm heavy handed with the sealant, I always think the more the better! It dries clear, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.


It doesn't take long for the Mod Podge to dry on the wood and have these garden stakes ready to go into pots, planters, and in the ground!


Want these labels? Click the button below to download the PDF or SVG Cut Print files. Print on clear sticker paper and cut them out to create your own garden stakes! These labels are for personal use only and may not be used for commercial use.




Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment