Saturday, May 30, 2020

DIY in a Day: Basket Signs

Y'all. I just can't even with how cute {and easy!} these signs for the boys' baskets turned out! I had something else in mind (I know, shocking), but am SO glad I went this route. Using wood scraps from the table project, a little bit of stain, and my Cricut, this was a super fast DIY in a Day!



After finishing the boys' new table/crate cover, I had to find the perfect decor to go with it. I went through all of my canvas cubes, plastic bins, and tubs before remembering I had a cute little wicker basket with a lid that my Mom gave me when she was getting rid of old items in the house and I was going to college. I LOVED the way to wicker looked with the dark frame and light shelves. I popped online and found these baskets at Big Lots. PERFECT!Water Hyachinth Diamond Weave Bins side by side angled view silo image
I needed something under a foot that would hold all of their treats, meds, lights, grooming tools, etc. After looking at a few different sign options, I settled for coming up with my own. Enter scrap wood, and the last of the white wood stain. These pieces were cut to 2" by 4", as simple design was made and cut out with the Cricut, then adhered to the wood.

WHAT DO I NEED?

  • Wood Scraps (you can grab rectangular wood here at Hobby Lobby)
  • Wood Stain (Lowe's has a large selection)
  • Cricut
  • Vinyl (I prefer to get mine at Michaels)
  • Design of Your Choosing
  • Transparent Tape 
  • Mod Podge
  • Sponge Brush

After cutting out your design, be sure to weed out any of the pieces that need to be pulled out. I had pieces of several letters with loops that needed to be weeded out. A trick I've learned is to wrap some tape around a couple fingers on your non-dominant hand and stick the vinyl you're weeding out onto that. It helps keep it all in one place so i's not covering you work surface.

The next step is to take transparent tape and place it over your design. This serves the save function as transfer tape, but I find it much more inexpensive. Press down on the tape so the design sticks to it, then peel it from the white backing.



Place your design on your wood surface, and press it down onto the wood when you have it in the perfect spot. Peel the tape away from the vinyl. You are still able to reposition if needed.





Add some Mod Podge over the top to seal your sign and keep your vinyl in place. I like to use a sponge brush to do this to help with streaking. I have gloss finish on hand, so that's what I put on these bad boys. They were dry in just a few minutes.


Once they were done, I debated how to attach them to the baskets. I settled on hot gluing them, and hot gluing twine knots into the corners for a faux tied on look. AHHH! SO CUTE!


I loved putting a little personal spin on each of their baskets. I loved even more that this took hardly any time at all. That's the best kind of DIY!

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment