Monday, August 10, 2015

French Toast Casserole

Today was the first day back for the new staff in our district. One of the things our district's Texas Classroom Teachers Association does is make breakfast for the new staff on their first day back. I'm not gonna lie, it's one of my favorite days because there are sooooooo many good dishes that line the table! For the past 3 years I have made french toast casserole. This year I changed the recipe I use and I think I'm going to stick with it! I cook my eyeballing it, so bear with me on some of the measurements. Playing around with ingredients is one of my favorite things as far as cooking is concerned! :)

This is the recipe for french toast casserole, but I use pretty close to the same egg mixture when I make regular french toast.




Ingredients:
1 loaf french bread (see below for recipe)
1 cup milk (I use skim)
1 cup half and half
6 medium eggs
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt


Cut french bread into cubes and scatter in cooking pan. Beat eggs together, then stir in wet ingredients (milk, half and half, and vanilla). Once the wet ingredients are combined, add dry ingredients (cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt). 

(I forgot to take pictures after this, so I'll just have to make it again and take some more!)

Once all ingredients are combined, pour over bread in the pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap or foil and let sit in the fridge for about 8 hours (or over night) to let the egg mixture soak into the bread.

In the morning, preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix together optional praline topping spread. I like to use Paula Deen's topping, but cut it in half. I usually have some left over.

Praline Topping:
1 stick butter (1/4 lb)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (or pecan pieces)
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Cut butter into cubes. Add brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together (I like to use my ninja). Once those are combined, add light corn syrup and mix again. It will only take a few seconds. Spread over the top of bread and bake for about 45 minutes, or until crust is golden.

That's it! It's super yummy. I'll make it again sometime soon and get more pictures up. :) Enjoy!

Easy French Bread Recipe:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water and let sit until it begins to look foamy (about 5 minutes). Add flour and salt. Mix ingredients together and knead for 15 - 20 minutes, or until dough passes "window-pane" test. Cover and store in a warm place (I put mine in the microwave or oven while they are off). Let rise for about 30 minutes. Punch dough down, cover and store in a warm place and let rise again for about another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F and bake 30-45 minutes, until crust is golden brown. (You can also use this recipe for baguettes. Instead, set oven to 500ºF and bake for 5-7 minutes).

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment